The city of Concepción is the provincial capital of the Eighth region of Chile, it is raised on the Bío-Bio River (Rio Bio-Bio) and it is located 316 miles to the south of Santiago and 69 miles of the city of Chillán, and is the commercial center of agricultural products of the fertile surrounding region. Concepción has around 327,000 inhabitants, second of the country in population, was founded by Don Pedro de Valdivia in 1550.
Among the industries of the city of Concepción, it counts themselves on the food processing, the iron production, steel, petroleum refineries, sawmills, factories of chemical agents, paper, glass, besides to produce hydroelectric energy in the Bío-Bío River (Rio Bio-Bio).
Concepción was founded in 1550 in the place in where today is the city of Penco (ciudad de Penco); it was the second city of importance in Chile during the Spanish colonization. Between 1565 and 1573, it was the Headquarter of the Real Hearing and political capital, military and administrative of the Post of Captain-General of Chile. In 1600, with the abandonment of the cities located to the south of the Bío Bío, the Bishopric of The Imperial (La Imperial) was transferred to the city of Concepción, present town of Carahue, after which it turned to be permanent headquarter of the Army of the Border (Ejército de la Frontera) and bastion of the War of Araucan (Guerra de Arauco).
In 1571, an earthquake and a seaquake devastated the city of Concepción, until then located in Penco. In 1764, it was ordered its transfer to its present location, where the military surveyor Ambrosio O’Higgins drew up the new large city. In 1786, it was founded the regime of Intendances and the one of Concepción was founded as well.
In 1818, Bernardo O’Higgins signed the Act of the Independence of Chile (Acta de Independencia de Chile) that was proclaimed for the first time in the Seat of Arms of Concepción (Plaza de Armas de Concepción), 1st of January of 1818. A new earthquake returned to destroy the city in 1835 and two more, in 1939 and 1960. They caused serious damages, which makes of it a modern city, with little vestiges of its important past.
The city of Concepción is characterized having a very colonial architecture, which is demonstrated in the large amount of beautiful seats; as for example, the Seat of Independence (Plaza de la Indepencia). The seat still conserves its beautiful original layout with wide pavements, although most of the hundreds linden trees that surrounded it, fell after a big storm in 1997, being completely renovated in 1998. In the center, on a pink stone sink of San Rosendo, there is a bronze column with relief- 1856 – that represents Ceres, goddess of agriculture.
The Seat Carlos Condell (Plaza Carlos Condell), renovated and inaugurated the 4 of June of 1905 by first Mayor, Fernando L. Testus, is located in Heras arriving to Janequeo and constitutes an urban patrimony of great value that reunites the population and are carried out different social activities. The Seat Courts (La Plaza Tribunales) is located among the Tucapel, Barros Arana, Castellón and O’Higgins streets. It was constructed in 1941. The seat contemplates gardens and strolls around the building of the Courts of Justice (Tribunales de Justicia), constructed later. It lodges four important monuments, being one of them of the Liberator Bernardo O’Higgins (Libertador Bernardo O’Higgins). On the other hand, the Seat Spain Isabel the Catholic, (Plaza España Isabel la Católica) where the great sculpture Condor of Winds (Cóndor de los Vientos) rises, of Lucien Burquier. It is a gigantic vane that turns to the wind. Around the seat is located District Station (Barrio Estación).
This seat acts as space of waiting room to the Railway station of Concepción and marks the beginning of the most important axis of the city, that it extends by Barros Arana street, Seat Independence (Plaza Independencia), Pedestrian Stroll (Paso Peatonal), Seat Courts of Justice (Plaza Tribunales de Justicia) and Diagonal street (calle Diagonal) towards the Peru Seat (Plaza Perú), ending up in the University Campus (Campus Universitario). It incorporates organic footpaths and gardens, a central sink and the sculpture of a Cóndor placed the year 2000.
Within the city of Concepción, the following places can be emphasized:
In front of the Seat of Independence (Plaza de la Independencia), in the Caupolicán street, between O’Higgins and Barros Arana, is the Cathedral of the Santísima Concepción (Catedral de la Santísima Concepción), that was constructed with influences of the style neo Romanesque with airs of the
Byzantine and Modern Art, between 1940 and 1950, by the architects Carlos Casanueva, Fernando Urrejola and Ramon Venegas. At a lateral altar stands out a polychrome wood image of the Immaculate Concepción (Inmaculada Concepción), of the Sevillian Juan Mountain Martinez, (century XVII). The beautiful fresh painted in the apse, the beautiful one adorned with caissons and the vitraux are of Alejandro Rubio Dalmati. It is located next to a set of Episcopal buildings as the Archiepiscopal Palace and the Parish of the Shrine. This is open all day, and masses are carried out from Mondays to Saturdays at 10, Sundays at 10, at 11, 12:00 and at 19 hours.
At one side of the Cathedral of the Santísima Concepción(Catedral de la Santísima Concepción) occupying its old Episcopal palace, is the Central House of the Catholic University of the Santísima Concepción (Casa Central de la Universidad Católica de la Santísima Concepción). This University is in charge of the Museum of Sacred Art (Museo de Arte Sagrado), that was inaugurated in 1995 by Monsignor Antonio Moreno Casamitjana, Archbishop of Concepción and Great Chancellor of the University, under the name of “Museum of the Cathedral” (“Museo de la Catedral”), being located within the Temple, behind the Presbytery, where sacerdotal objects of cult, pictures and clothes are exhibited, patrimony of the archdioceses. It emphasizes a crucifix carved in ivory, given by King Felipe II of Spain in the century XVI, opened from November to March, Tuesdays to Fridays between 10 and 13, and between the 16 and 20 hours; Saturdays and Sundays from11 to 14. From April to October, between Tuesdays and Fridays, from 10 to 13:30 and from 15 to the 19; Saturdays and Sundays from 11 to 14. Entrance $300, 3ª Age and children between 13 and 18 years $100, minors for 13 free.
Campus University of Concepción (Campus Universidad de Concepción). It is acceded by car. Stop in front of the outdoors amphitheatre, will see a metallic sculpture, work of Samuel Roman, in memory of Enrique Molinda Gardemia, founder of the establishment, in 1919, and first Director of the University. The buildings distributed around the campus, of 426 square feet, leave a central esplanade with perspective to the different constructions, presided by a Bell, a tower with clock, symbol of the University of Concepción.
Art Gallery of the University of Concepción (Pinacoteca de la Universidad de Concepción). It has the most complete Chilean painting collection, composed by works of different times. In the access hall is the mural “Presence of America Latina”, of the Mexican painter Jorge González Camarena, made between 1964 and 1965. In addition, it is a space that gathers artists consecrated in their different halls, which allows that Concepción is always in contact with the last artistic proposals of the country and overseas. It is possible to pay visits throughout the year, from Tuesdays to Fridays from 10 to 18 hours, Saturdays from 10 to 16 hours, Sundays from 10 to 13 hours. The entrance is released.
The attractive Museum Gallery of History (Museo de la Galería de la Historia). It is located in the Ecuador Park (Parque Ecuador) to slopes of the hill Caracol (Cerro Caracol), in it appears one complete vision of regional history through dioramas, meaning, carved figures, acclimated in scenes and representative according to the time in three-dimensional aspect. It counts on a hall of plastic arts that opens between April and December. The visits can be made on Mondays from 15 to 18:30 hours; from Tuesdays to Fridays between 10 and 13:30 and from 15 to 18:30 hours; Saturdays and Sundays from 10 to 14 and from 15 to 19 hours. The entrance is gratuitous.
Also very attractive is the Mausoleum of General Don Jose Maria de la Cruz (Mausoleo del General Don José María de la Cruz). This mausoleum was erected in 1879, reason why is one of oldest of the Museum of Concepción (Museo de Concepción). Conserve, in addition, the rests of General José María de la Cruz Prieto, who was an outstanding man of arms and also contributed very much in the campaigns of Independence of the country.
The Museum of Natural History of Concepción (Museo de Historia Natural de Concepción). It has the history of Concepción in documents and scale models. Occasionally subjects about environment and anthropology appear. Conserve around 11 thousand pieces that integrate archaeological, ethnographical and botanical collections. The attention schedules are of: Tuesdays to Fridays between 10 and 13:30 and in the afternoons between 14:30 and 17:30 hours. Festive, Saturdays, Sundays and between the 15 and 17:30 hours, the value of the entrance is of $600 for adults, and $300 children. Festive and Sundays the entrance is released.
Very impressive are the rest of the stone walls of the convent of the Favor (restos de los muros de piedra del Convento de la Merced). It is a Historical Monument of deep historical and architectonic meaning of the city. This is located in Freire Street, next to the Parish of Favor (Parroquia de la Merced).
The Municipal Market of Concepción (Mercado Municipal de Concepción). It is colorful, typical and entertained, has artisan objects, flowers stores and kitchens with typical plates. It includes 11.8 square feet. It was constructed after the 1931 earthquake, and it is the work of architects Müller and Weiner. In their interior diverse activities are developed: typical sales of the market, such as fruits, vegetables, packing, etc., crafts, kitchens with typical plates, shellfish stores and, around the central sink, flowers stores.
The attractive Boulevard Barros Arana. It is a stroll located in the center of the large city, is attractive and, going through it, it is possible to see the big amount of commercial stores, professional centers of fast food, restaurants and coffees, banks, hotel profession, universities and institutes.
The colorful District Station (Barrio Estación). It is the center of the nocturnal atmosphere of Concepción, located in Prat Avenue, this district counts on infinity of Bars, Pubs and Discotheques.
The Monumental Fertile valley (La Vega Monumental) This is located in the sector Lorenzo Arenas of Concepción, the Monumental Fertile valley (La Vega Monumental) counts on the numerous premises with nutritional product sale, crafts, flowers stores, etc., at the end of this enclosure is located the terminal of rural buses.
The University District (Barrio Universitario). It is one of the symbols of Concepción. Its basic characteristics are the amplitude of the space and the dominant presence of the hill that surrounds it. Its access stands out being one of the constructions most characteristic of the city of Concepción. It exist numerous green areas destined to sport activities and the Lagoon of the Ducks (Laguna de Los Patos), with species such as swans of black neck, avutardas and wild ducks.
Mural Central station (Mural Estación Central). This beautiful mural is located in the central hall of the Railway station of Concepción. In its 203 feet of length and 13 feet of high, it shows an historical sequence of the city from the natives to 1940.
Ecuador Park (Parque Ecuador). Formerly called Tree-lined avenue (Alameda), the change of name was in gratefulness to Ecuador by the aid lent after the 1906 earthquake. It is located in the slopes of Caracol Hill (Cerro Caracol), place of encounter of the penquistas families to enjoy the rest and the nature, has an extension of around 0.6 feet. In its gardens are sport areas, infantile games and takes place, from 1964, the International Fair of the Popular Art (Feria Internacional del Arte Popular), with the participation of more than 190 craftsmen of 17 countries. Also complementary activities are carried out, of theater, music and dance. It is located in Street Veteran of the 79, between 16 of January and 1st of February. It closes at 23, 00 hours. The entrance is gratuitous.
Hill Caracol (Cerro Caracol). Its name comes from the layout of the dirt road that leads to the interior. It displays winding footpaths of mixed native vegetation with Australian eucalyptuses, pines and aromos. There are viewpoints in the summit. Its highest altitude is of 839 feet of height. Its main entrance is the Ecuador Park.
Yellow Hill (Cerro Amarillo). It is located in the Rozas Street at Rengo corner in Concepción. It was raised by the German colony in tribute to the German Kaiser Bismarck. It had two levels: first, closed by an iron door and the second, that displayed a panoramic view of great beauty towards the city. The German Viewpoint constitutes one of the more excellent historical landmarks by its location and antiquity. At the moment, the sow of trees has covered its predominant views on Concepción, reducing its function of viewpoint, but still maintaining the character of urban landmark present in the collective memory of people, and forming a recognized referential landmark in the strolls of the hill Caracol (Cerro Caracol).
Bio-Bio Bridge (Puente Bio-Bio). Also known as “old bridge” (Puente Viejo), inaugurated in 1937, has a total extension of 4.655 feet with two tracks of circulation and acts as a tie of the city of Concepción with the localities to the south of the Bío-Bío River (Rio Bio-Bio).
Palace of the Courts (Palacio de los Tribunales). It is in front of the Seat Courts (Plaza de Tribunales), in the diagonal Pedro Aguirre Bristle. It is a building with a concrete column covered with marble and was constructed in 1949 by architect Orlando Torrealba. The building belongs to the architecture of the first modernism in the city. The Building is isolated as an urban sculpture.
Viewpoint Chepe Hill (Mirador Cerro Chepe). This urban landmark was raised in the times when Guillermo Otto, administrator of the cemetery and of the Chepe hill (Cerro Chepe), wanted to transform the place in a stroll and viewpoint. It was raised in parallel form to the cross that is few meters from that place.
Peru Seat (Plaza Perú). It is located between Chacabuco and Diagonal Pedro Aguirre Cerda. It was constructed in 1942. The buildings, of the years 1942 and 1945 that form the Peru Seat constitute a unique harmonic set in the city of Concepción. In its low side has an entrance denominated “the Entrance of the Perú Seat”, which constitutes one of the most significant public spaces of the city. It has a beautiful water source that marks a center. This seat constitutes an urban landmark that identifies of the Concepción.
Railway station (Estación de Ferrocarriles). It was constructed in 1941 by the architect Luis Herrera. It is located in the Arturo Prat 501 Avenue. It is a building of the period of the modernist architecture inspired by Loos and Le Corbusier, of white stuccos and noble proportions, distribution and Concepción city-planning. The tower constitutes an important urban landmark located in the perspective of the street Barros Arana, main commercial axis of the city. In its interior, it has an ample hall of access that lodges the prestigious mural “History of Concepción” (of 196 feet by 14 feet), made by the painter Gregorio de la Fuente, between 1943 and 1945 and recovered by the author in 1987. It is open all the year. Released Entrance.
Museum Concepción (Museo Concepción). It has on display the history of Concepción in photographies, mapuches objects and elements of natural history.
In the neighborhoods of the city of Concepción, there are towns of great tourist interest:
(Thunder of the sky)
The city of Talcahuano, is located 9 miles to the northeast of the city of Concepción, and is located in the bay of Talcahuano, has 277,752 inhabitants. It has a port in the Bay of Concepción and another one in San Vicente. It is a fishing center, naval base with shipyards and a large industrial complex. It emphasizes the Iron and Steel Company Huachipato, the petrochemical industry and the petroleum refinery. Its barren bay is used as port since 1774, when a fortress occupied the place of the present naval post station. The peak began in 1872 with the arrival of the railroad, transforming itself into the main port of the south. In 1950, the beginning of the Iron and Steel Refinery of Huachipato gave a big impulse to the city. It is recommended to visit the coast highway Window to the Sea (Ventana al Mar), with view to the bay of Concepción (bahia de Concepción) and the Quiriquina island (Islas Quiriquina). There is located Monumental Coliseum, known as the Turtle (La Tortuga).
Some places of interest in Talcahuano are:
Powerful tugboat of High seas (Remolcador de Alta Mar Poderoso), that were declared National Monument, a beautiful ship of the 1911, the oldest one of its type afloat in the world. Saturdays, Sundays and festive from 10 to 14 hours can be visited, from Tuesdays to Fridays between 10 and 17 hours. The value of the entrance is of $500, children $300.
Huascar monitor (Monitor Huascar), Relic of Naval Battle of Iquique, of 1879, is conserved afloat and in excellent state. The boat is a battleship of 219 feet in length, 36 feet wide and 13 feet of openwork. It was constructed in England in 1864 to be destined to Peru. It is the second oldest one of the world. In your visit, after you listen the details of the history of the Huáscar Monitor, you can cross the staterooms, the engine room, the tower of tubes and the cover, where a signal indicates the precise place where Arturo Prat died. This is a didactic and very exciting stroll. Shootings and photographies are allowed only inside the ship. The Huáscar is open all the year from Tuesdays to Sundays from 9:30 to 12:30 and from 13:30 to 17:30 hours. The value of the entrance is of $1,000, children $500.
Door of the Lions (Puerta de Los Leones), from where it also leaves a tour towards Naval Base Talcahuano (Base Naval de Talcahuano), the week ends, between the 14:30 and the 17:00 leave two cars for twenty people from the Door the Lions (Puerta de Los Leones). The duration is of 50 minutes. The minors of 15 years do not pay. The value of the entrance is of $500, children $300. Guidance by sailors crosses its facilities, starting off by the seat of the Heroes and the beautiful host building of the Command in Head of II the Naval Zone, known as the Vatican. Its data is ignored, but it took part from the structure that allowed constructing Dyke 1, in 1895. It is emphasized its main facade, the metallic porch and the balustrade, all aggregates to the building in 1912. Tour follows to the Naval Post station, the residential area, molo, the shipyard of Asmar and arrives at the Club of Yachts, in navy the Apple tree.
In the Columbus Street (Calle Colón), the commercial center of the city, and to enter a seat soon, with a pretty church and municipal buildings. It is possible to be acceded to a viewpoint with a splendid View of the city, the bay of Concepción, the shipyards and the lighthouse, rising by the street San Martín (Calle San Martín) until the street Martinez de Rozas (Calle Martínez de Rozas).
It is also recommend visiting a way that crosses the high part of the peninsula Tumbes until Creek Tumbes (Caleta Tumbes). Near this place, in the hill the Gloria (cerro La Gloria), is possible to accede to a second viewpoint that contemplates a great View of the Bay of San Vicente, the hills Teats of the Bío-Bío, the port, the enormous industrial district and, to the distance, Concepción.
It is advisable to visit the Industrial District (Barrio Industrial), where the enormous coal piles, the high furnaces and the sheds of lamination of the Huachipato iron and steel can be observed. To the front there is a chain of basic industries, lumber and petrochemical. At the end is the petroleum refinery.
Museum and Park Pedro del Rio Zañartu (Museo y Parque Pedro del Rio Zañartu (Monumento Nacional) It is a group located in Hualpén that includes the property, a house, the park, the chapel and the particular collection that Pedro del Rio Zañartu (1840-1918) bequeathed to Concepción for its conservation. The house and the park are open to the public; the property was declared National Monument for the preservation of the coastal native species.
Pedro del Rio Zañartu was a great industrialist, agriculturist, whaling, saltpeter owner and writer. He made four trips around the world between 1880 and 1900, collecting objects with the curiosity of an amateur of the time.
The large house, constructed around 1885, is an ample decorated mansion still with the original furniture. Square, with ceiling of roofing tiles, has a central patio and exterior running halls glass finished. It contains an Eastern collection of ebony stuff, arms, currencies, pipes, religious iconography, Hindu, Egyptian art, an Egyptian mummy, mapuche silver stuff and, precious stones and objects of natural sciences.
The park, contemporary to the house, surrounds a promontory with view to the river. It is adorned with sculptures, labyrinths, sinks, viewpoints and footpaths with alive fences. Aged eucalyptuses, native palms and trees survive. This is open the entire year from Tuesdays to Sundays from 10 to 13 and between 14 and 19 hours, there are guides monitors. In summer, the visit time is extended until 20 hours. There is a tollgate by vehicles. Cars and light trucks $1500. Bus $2500.
Follow 2 miles until the mouth of the Bío-Bío River (Rio Bio-Bio). Passed the Club of Fishing and Hunting (Club de Pesca y Caza), you can take – in summer – the dirt road to the Rocoto beach (Playa Rocoto). Near 0.6 mile further, it obtains a splendid panoramic of the mouth of the river, of San Pedro of La Paz (Rio de San Pedro de la Paz) and, in cleared days, even of the gulf of Araucan (Golfo de Arauco) and the island Santa Maria (Isla Santa María).
Come back for the same route until the four corners crossroads. Go on by the avenue The Swallows (Avenida Las Golondrinas) until Avenue Columbus (Avenida Colón), the old union between Talcahuano and Concepción. Make a right turn, circulating between houses, schools and university seats, until descrying a bridge on level. Take it by the deflection to the right to enter the Bridge Juan Pablo II (Puente Juan Pablo II), cross to the Bío-Bío river (Rio Bio-Bio), with 8.038 feet is the longest railroader of the country, constructed in 1889 and with an equal length in feet to the year of its construction. The bridge has an ample view to Concepción and ends at a curve of the way to Lota. Take to the east to advance four blocks and to enter the Small Lagoon of San Pedro (Laguna Chica de San Pedro).
Small lagoon of San Pedro (Laguna Chica de San Pedro). It is extended and it surrounded by wooded hills. It counts on a Municipal Resort, Nautical clubs and the Llacolén club, where you can practice rows and other nautical sports.
Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Candlemas (Santuario de Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria). It is a modern church with terrace and a beautiful view of the lights of the city, reflected in the river to the dusk. The parish keeps the image from the Virgin of the Candlemas, donated in 1603 by the Governor Alonso de Rivera to the Fort of San Pedro. It venerates it with big cult and it is carried out a popular celebration 2 of February of every year. Visits can be done all the year from Mondays to Sundays between the 9 and 21 hours.
(Cloudy Day – Día Nublado)
Chiguayante is located within the Metropolitan zone of Concepción, conformed by the communes of Concepción, Talcahuano, Hualpén, Penco, San Pedro of La Paz and Hualqui. It belongs to the Province of Concepción, one of the four that composes VIII the Region of the Bío Bío. It has a population of 81,254 inhabitants. Their main localities are: Lonco, Villuco, the Palms, Residential Sector Schaub, Mount Foot (Pie de Monte), Caupolicán Enclosure (Recinto Caupolicán), the Highs of Chiguayante (Los Altos de Chiguayante), Sector Valley Stone 1 and 2 (Sector Valle la Piedra 1 y 2), the Boldos, Springs (Manantiales), South Chiguayante (Chiguayante Sur), The Americas (Las Américas), Manquimávida and Leonera.
Places of interest in the locality:
Stom museum (Museo Stom), that is located in a park with infantile games, has an archaeological and ethnographic collection, of which mapuche silver stuff emphasizes. Among old domestic and agricultural objects, surprises a singular collection of optical instruments. (156 Parcel b. Visits all the year from Tuesdays to Sundays, from 10:00 to 18:00 hours. Entrance $700, for children $350).
Hualqui. It has 10,120 inhabitants. It is a municipality and an important horto fruits center, with large houses that surround the seat and the church. Here an interesting work of basketwork is made in coirón with chupón and sometimes dyed. Usually, it is frequented as a place of rustic stroll by the inhabitants of Concepción, because in the town and its environs there are many zones of picnic with swimming pools. Several are in the area of the Eagle (El Aguila). To 1.640 feet of the station, through street P. Lynch, you are in the area of picnic Castañares.
Activities and Events (Actividades y Eventos)
In summer time is carried out the Celebration of the Apple, Chilean races, rodeos, one pilgrimage to the Virgin of the Stone and competitions of canoe in the Bío-Bío River (Rio Bio-Bio).
It has a population that reaches around 40 thousand inhabitants. Located in a difficult topography similar to the one of Lota, it is resort and port. Its population distributes between hills and the narrow plan. The center is dense, while on hills there are old houses of wood and roofing tiles, with balconies, glass galleries and viewpoints. They are testimony of an industrial past.
It is recommended to visit the textile industry Bellavista Tomé Sheep (Industria Bellavista Oveja Tomé), with a sales room that it is open from Mondays through Fridays, from 9:00 to 13:00 and from 15:00 to 19:00, Saturdays from 9 to 14 hours.
On one side, it is the church Christ Redentor (Iglesia Cristo Redentor), well-known as Bellavista parish, constructed in 1923, in Byzantine Romanesque style, by the textile industrialist Carlos Werner.
Follow through Latorre Avenue (Avenida Latorre) next to the railroad, to enter the seat by Egaña Street (calle Egaña). Cross the plan towards the bottom, to return to the seat and to leave by Nogueira Street (calle Nogueira) towards the port, located in a beautiful bay, closed by a rocky nose. There you will see the house of the Harbor authorities (Capitanía del Puerto). To the return is the Nose Beach (Playa El Morro), of white sand and calm waters, appear flanked by the highway and the set of the Nose Hostel (Hostería El Morro). It is the heart of the resort.
The town of Quillón is a concurred resort and a good place to rest, to bath or to have lunch. It counts on attractive places as Avendaño lagoon (Laguna Avendaño), apt for all type of nautical sports, or the Cayumanqui hill (Cerro Cayumanqui), of abundant native, excellent flora to make excursions.
Coyanmáhuida Park (Parque Coyanmáhuida)
(Mountain of Oaks)
In 24 hectares in the Mountain range of the Coast, the company Forestal Celco S.A. has formed a park in the last property left at death of inalterable native forest, and in plantations of radiate pine. A footpath crosses 1.312 feet under the forest where there are 14 parks with explanatory signboards, benches, waste baskets and large tables where picnics can be made. It is prohibited to fire. It counts on a specialized guide, in addition to baths, potable water and parking at the beginning of the footpath. Visits from Mondays through Fridays from 10 to 18 and Saturdays and Sundays from 10 to 17 hours can be done. It is absolutely prohibited to smoke, to fire and to throw away junk. Entrance is for free.
This is a beautiful and colorful town. It was a fort of outpost, founded in 1585 and destroyed several times until its definitive foundation, in 1648. The Sanctuary of San Sebastián, constructed in 1856, keeps one old image from the saint that dates since 1663, which is venerated in a big popular celebration the 20 of January and the 20 of March. There is a municipal resort in the Claro River (Rio Claro) to 1.8 miles of the town.
For those who are interested in the history of the railroad, we recommended a visit to the town of San Rosendo. You will have to take a way paved from 34 miles until the Laja, where there is a cellulose industry. There you cross to San Rosendo by a railroad bridge of 1.328 feet of length, constructed in 1890. Originated as a fort of the defensive border of the Bío-Bío, this locality owns its importance to the railroad. Visit the place of railroads where are the arsenal, the enormous coal bunker for the locomotives to steam, the House of Machines, of 1929, with a great tornamesa and the locomotives of steam 802, 708 and derrick PV9001, declared National Monument. The town has a colorful church constructed in 1903. In front of it, it is the seat of arms, where for more than 50 years it has been celebrated the carnival of summer, the second and third week of February. Another alternative to visit San Rosendo is to take the local train from Concepción.
** Information related to Hours, Rates and Dates might change without any previous notice **