Rere

Rere's town plaza.

Rere's town plaza.

(Woodpecker – Pájaro Carpintero)

The town of Rere was founded by Alonso de Sotomayor in 1586 under the name of Nuestra Señora de la Buena Esperanza,the town tried to be a nexus between Yumbel and the city of Concepción. In 1603 a fort  was raised also denominated Buena Esperanza, left during a mapuche insurrection in 1655 that caused the scape of three thousand people towards Concepción. Once repopulated, it experienced a great importance, thanks to the gold road, which was a neuralgic point and it got to be the third more inhabited city of the country. In 1612, the Jesuits installed a mission and one of its seven schools in Chile and in that place, in 1889, the Bank of Rere was authorized to emit its own money. Today it conserves a pretty colonial seat with an enormous beautiful Chilean palm and a beautiful bell, of 1923. In it, there is a bell of 4.5 feet of diameter, with an alloy of 33% of gold. The mineral was donated by the neighbors of the town and the bell fused by the Jesuits in 1720.

** Information related to Hours, Rates and Dates might change without any previous notice **